Wine enthusiasts, history buffs, outdoor adventurers, and art lovers rejoice! You’ll all find something to enjoy at this contemporary destination with a unique past. If you enjoy eating Moravian cookies, exploring heirloom gardens, or simply unwinding with a bottle of wine from North Carolina, Winston-Salem will have everything you could want and more.
Plan your upcoming excursion in Winston-Salem by perusing the local attractions listed below!
Here are 20 of the best places to visit in Winston-Salem:
- Old Salem Museum & Gardens: Stepping into this living history museum is like returning to the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The site preserves and showcases the Moravian community that settled in the area in 1766, presenting visitors with a unique opportunity to experience the early settlers’ daily life, culture, and traditions. With its beautifully restored buildings, costumed interpreters, and meticulously recreated gardens, Old Salem offers an immersive and authentic glimpse into the past. It is one of the must-visit places In Winston-Salem.
- Reynolda House Museum of American Art: Reynolda House is a historic American art museum and estate that offers visitors a captivating glimpse into the early 20th-century affluent lifestyle. Initially built in 1917 as the residence of the Reynolds family, the expansive property now serves as a cultural center and museum, showcasing an impressive collection of American art from the late 19th and early 20th centuries and it is one of the fascinating attractions in Winston-Salem.
- Wake Forest University: This is a prestigious private research university in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Founded in 1834, it holds a strong reputation for its rigorous academic programs, commitment to experiential learning, and close-knit community. The university offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in various subject areas, including the arts and sciences, business, law, medicine, and more. While visiting Wake Forest University catch a football or basketball game or visit their on-campus art museum.
- Salem Lake Park: Salem Lake Park is a picturesque recreational area in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Nestled amidst the natural beauty of the Piedmont region, this park offers a serene escape for locals and visitors alike. The park’s centerpiece is the expansive Salem Lake, which spans over 365 acres and provides opportunities for fishing, kayaking, canoeing, and paddleboarding. Apart from these watersports activities there are many more cool things to do in Winston-Salem at Salem Lake such as walking one of the many trails in the area.
- SECCA – Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art: The Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art is a renowned cultural institution promoting contemporary art and artists in the southeastern United States. It is a platform for engaging exhibitions, innovative programming, and thought-provoking events in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. SECCA is dedicated to assisting both upcoming and established artists and as such, plays a significant part in enhancing the cultural landscape of the area and fostering critical discussion about contemporary art practices.
- Historic Bethabara Park: Historic Bethabara Park is a fascinating site in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA. Established in 1753 by Moravian settlers. The park offers visitors a captivating journey back in time, providing a glimpse into the early colonial period and the daily lives of the settlers. It should be on everyone’s Winston-Salem tourism itinerary.
- Tanglewood Park: Tanglewood Park is a picturesque and sprawling recreational area in the town of Clemmons, North Carolina (about 20 minutes from Downtown Winston-Salem). Nestled amidst the serene beauty of the Piedmont region, this park offers diverse outdoor activities and amenities for visitors of all ages. The park boasts beautifully landscaped gardens, expansive green spaces, and scenic walking trails that wind through the woods, providing a peaceful escape into nature. Moreover, Tanglewood Park features two championship golf courses, equestrian facilities, fishing ponds, picnic areas, and a dog park.
- Yadkin Valley: Wondering what else to do in Winston-Salem? Well about 30 minutes away in Yadkin Valley you’ll find a renowned and picturesque wine region in North Carolina. Stretching across the foothills of the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains, there are numerous charming wineries and quaint vineyards, each offering a unique experience for wine enthusiasts and visitors alike. With its fertile soil and favorable climate, the Yadkin Valley is celebrated for producing a diverse range of high-quality wines, including Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot.
- Kaleideum North: Formerly known as SciWorks, Kaleideum North is a renowned science museum and interactive educational center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The museum is dedicated to inspiring curiosity and a passion for learning through hands-on exhibits and engaging programs that cater to visitors of all ages. From interactive displays exploring the wonders of physics and astronomy to exhibits delving into the fascinating realms of biology and earth sciences, the museum provides a dynamic learning environment that encourages exploration, discovery, and a love for science.
- Winston Salem Dash: The Winston-Salem Dash are a minor league baseball team that is the Class A Advanced affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. They play their home games at Truist Stadium. The Dash are a great way to see the future stars of Major League Baseball. Many of the players on the Dash have gone on to play in the big leagues, including Eloy Jiménez, Luis Robert, and Yoan Moncada. A game at Truist Stadium is a great family outing while you’re visiting the city. There are plenty of activities for kids, such as the Kids Zone and the Dash Dash Race.
- Quarry Park: This is a stunning and dynamic urban recreational area in the heart of a bustling city. This vibrant park offers a refreshing blend of nature and modernity and is a testament to thoughtful urban planning and conservation efforts. Its centerpiece is a beautifully reimagined quarry, once a site of industrial extraction, now transformed into a picturesque lake surrounded by lush greenery and walking trails. Visitors can explore the diverse landscape, enjoying serene waterfront views, abundant wildlife, and a plethora of outdoor activities. Quarry Park is a must see tourist place in Winston-Salem.
- The Ramkat: The Ramkat is a two-level music venue in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. With approximately 11,670-square-feet and three bars, the venue hosts a variety of concerts, from local bands to national touring acts. The Ramkat is known for its intimate setting and its commitment to bringing quality music to Winston-Salem. The Ramkat opened in 2018 as a space where people could come together to enjoy live music and quickly became a popular destination for music fans in Winston-Salem. In addition to hosting concerts, the Ramkat also hosts a variety of other events, such as comedy shows, dance parties, and film screenings.
- Historic West End: The Historic West End is a vibrant and culturally rich neighborhood in Downtown Winston-Salem. Steeped in history and charm, this historic district is known for its beautifully preserved Victorian-style homes and diverse community. The neighborhood was planned by Jacob Lott Ludlow, former owner of the Ludlow House that is now part of the Summit Street Inns. The Historic West End of Winston-Salem was a microcosm of the city’s phenomenal growth from the late 1880s to the 1920s. During this time, tobacco and textile manufacturing reached new levels of production, and Winston-Salem became North Carolina’s largest city.
- Krankies Coffee: Krankies Coffee is a popular and vibrant coffee shop with a reputation for its exceptional coffee offerings and inviting atmosphere. Krankies Coffee has become a favorite destination for locals and visitors alike. The establishment takes pride in sourcing high-quality beans from around the world and expertly roasting them on-site to create a diverse range of flavorful brews.
- Hanesbrands Theatre: Hanesbrands Theatre, is a premier performing arts venue known for its exceptional entertainment offerings. As part of the Hanesbrands Performing Arts Center, the theater boasts a state-of-the-art facility that can accommodate a variety of performances, including concerts, theatrical productions, dance shows, and lectures.
- M.C. Benton Jr. Convention Center: A hub for conferences, trade fairs, exhibitions, and other sizable meetings, the M.C. Benton Jr. Convention Center is a cutting-edge event location. The convention center, which has a prominent place in the city, is equipped with advanced services and facilities that can be tailored to meet the requirements of various events and target groups. The center’s committed and knowledgeable staff ensures that events go off without a hitch, making it a popular location for organizing various corporate, cultural, and community events.
- North Carolina Zoo: Located in Asheboro (less than an hour drive from Winston-Salem), The North Carolina Zoo is a great place to visit if you’re looking to learn about animals from all over the world. The zoo is home to over 1,700 animals, including lions, tigers, bears, elephants, and giraffes. If you’re visiting with kids, be sure to check out the zoo’s many educational programs and activities including animal shows, petting zoos, and even a ropes course.
- Hanes Mall: As one of the largest shopping centers in Winston-Salem, it boasts a diverse array of retailers, boutiques, and department stores, making it a one-stop shop for fashion, electronics, home goods, and more. With its spacious layout and welcoming atmosphere, Hanes Mall offers a delightful experience for visitors of all ages, whether on a shopping spree, enjoying a meal at the food court, or simply strolling through the well-maintained corridors.
- Artivity on the Green: ‘Artivity on the Green‘ is a vibrant and dynamic community event that celebrates art, creativity, and culture in an open green space. This annual gathering brings together artists, artisans, performers, and enthusiasts from all walks of life, transforming the park into a bustling hub of artistic expression. From interactive art installations to live music performances, from painting workshops to poetry readings, the event offers diverse activities that inspire and engage visitors of all ages.
- Bailey Park: Bailey Park is a spacious family park that hosts exciting food trucks, free movie screenings, yoga and group exercise sessions, and concerts. Families seeking a place to relax, dine, or exercise are welcome in this park, open to everyone from all walks of life. At Bailey Park, a wide range of events are held, such as cultural celebrations, festivals, concerts featuring a variety of musical genres, wellness programs, and more.
In summary, Winston-Salem is a stunning tourist destination that offers something for everyone. It is a one-stop location for entertainment, history, relaxation, and the arts. Its hidden riches and beauty are still unknown to most.
We hope you’ll spend their vacation time discovering all the fascinating locations that you can find in our city. Visit the top tourist attractions listed above in Winston-Salem for a once-in-a-lifetime experience and ask the Winston-Salem Historic Inns staff for more recommendations when you stay with us.