Winston-Salem, North Carolina, is not just a city for history and art enthusiasts; it’s also a fantastic destination for families with young children. From interactive museums to adventure activities, Winston-Salem offers an abundance of kid-friendly activities that will keep your little ones engaged and entertained.
In this guide, we’ll help you plan the perfect family adventure in Winston-Salem.
Before embarking on your kid-friendly visit to Winston-Salem, it’s essential to do some pre-trip planning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience for the whole family.
- Check Operating Hours: Verify the operating hours of the places you plan to visit, as they may vary depending on the day of the week and season.
- Weather Considerations: Be mindful of the weather forecast, as it may influence your outdoor activities and clothing choices.
- Age-Appropriate Activities: Tailor your plans to your children’s ages and interests. Ensure the activities you choose are suitable for your little explorers.
- Map Out Your Route: Familiarize yourself with the city’s layout and map out your itinerary, including distances between locations.
Start your Activities with Interactive Museums
Winston-Salem is home to several museums that offer interactive and educational experiences for kids of all ages.
- Kaleideum North (formerly SciWorks): This hands-on science museum is a favorite among families. Kids can engage with exhibits on physics, biology, and more. Don’t miss the live animal encounters and planetarium shows.
- Kaleideum Downtown: Located in the heart of Winston-Salem, this museum focuses on art and imagination. It features interactive art exhibits, a puppet theater, and creative play spaces for children.
- Winston Cup Museum and Special Event Center: For young racing enthusiasts, the Winston Cup Museum is a must-visit destination. This museum is dedicated to the history of stock car racing and features a stunning collection of NASCAR artifacts and memorabilia. Kids can get up close to iconic race cars, and trophies, and even experience a simulated pit stop.
Winston-Salem boasts several adventure parks and outdoor spaces where your children can run, play, and enjoy nature.
- Adventure Landing: If you’re looking for outdoor excitement, head to Adventure Landing. This amusement park offers a range of thrilling activities, including go-karts, miniature golf, laser tag, and an arcade. It’s a fantastic place for kids and families to enjoy a day filled with adventure and excitement.
- Tanglewood Park: This expansive park offers numerous activities, including hiking trails, playgrounds, and picnic areas. The highlight is the Tanglewood Arboretum, a beautiful place to explore nature.
- Truist Stadium: For sports-loving kids, attending a baseball game at BB&T Ballpark, home to the Winston-Salem Dash, can be an adventure in itself. The stadium offers family-friendly games, events, and delicious ballpark food. Cheering for the home team while enjoying America’s favorite pastime is an exciting adventure for kids of all ages.
- Yadkin River Greenway: If your family enjoys biking or walking, this greenway along the Yadkin River provides a scenic route. It’s suitable for all ages and offers lovely views.
- River Run Rafting: For families seeking a bit of thrill, River Run Rafting is a fantastic option. This adventure company offers guided rafting trips on the Yadkin River. While some trips are more suitable for older kids and teenagers, River Run Rafting provides an exciting opportunity for families to bond and enjoy the great outdoors.
- The Quarry at Grant Park: Kids can explore Quarry Park’s natural play areas and enjoy the quarry-themed water play. The park also features an amphitheater for events and concerts.
- Pilot Mountain State Park: A short drive from Winston-Salem, Pilot Mountain State Park is a haven for adventure seekers. The park offers various hiking trails suitable for kids, picnicking areas, and breathtaking views from the summit of Pilot Mountain. It’s a fantastic place for a family day trip filled with exploration and outdoor adventures.
Exploring the culinary scene in Winston-Salem with your children can be a delightful adventure in itself. The city offers a variety of family-friendly dining options.
- The Porch Kitchen and Cantina: This restaurant is known for its casual atmosphere and fantastic Mexican food. It’s a kid-friendly spot with a menu that includes items such as quesadillas and tacos.
- Burke Street Pizza: Children and parents alike love this pizzeria. The menu features a wide selection of pizzas, and there are games and activities to keep the little ones entertained.
- Dairi-O: A local favorite, Dairi-O offers burgers, hot dogs, and ice cream. Kids can enjoy their meals in an outdoor picnic area.
Introducing your children to art and culture can be a memorable part of your visit.
- Reynolda House Museum of American Art: While art museums may not be the first choice for some families, the Reynolda House offers a beautiful garden and a chance for kids to appreciate art in a historic setting. This house holds one of the country’s finest collections of American paintings.
- Children’s Theatre of Winston-Salem: Check the schedule for the Children’s Theatre, which often features family-friendly plays and performances.
Practical Tips for a Smooth Visit
- Comfortable Footwear: Ensure your children wear comfortable, supportive shoes, as you’ll likely be doing a lot of walking, running and hiking.
- Sunscreen and Hats: If you plan on spending time outdoors, don’t forget sunscreen and hats to protect your family from the sun. Heat strokes and sunburns can ruin your planned day ahead.
- Snacks and Water: Pack some snacks and water to keep your kids energized during your adventures. Kids can get dehydrated easily due to their hour-long activities.
- First Aid Kit: It’s always a good idea to have a basic first aid kit on hand for any mishaps. It’s also safe to learn of nearby hospitals in case of emergencies.
- Wear the Right Clothing: Ensure children are dressed appropriately for the adventure. Dress in layers for varying weather conditions and provide sturdy, comfortable footwear.
- Practice LNT (Leave No Trace): Teach your kids to respect the environment and minimize their impact. Make it a game to see who can pick up the most litter, ensuring a cleaner, more beautiful outdoors for everyone.
- Be Patient: Keep in mind that travel with kids may involve unexpected detours or breaks. Be patient and flexible with your plans.
Winston-Salem offers a host of kid-friendly attractions and activities that can turn your family visits into unforgettable adventures. With the right planning, a sense of adventure, and an open mind, you can create cherished memories while exploring this charming Southern city with your little ones.
Be it interactive museums or outdoor adventures, Winston-Salem has it all for families seeking a memorable getaway.
Read our detailed blog about 20 Best things to do in Winston-Salem